dord (dôrd), n. density of mind; chiefly exhibited by one who attempts to demonstrate supposed knowledge --adj. dord'ish

11.03.2008

The Color of Hope

I've seen it.
You've seen it.
Your neighbor's seen it.
In fact, your neighbor is probably hanging it -- a poster with a politician's face and the word HOPE.

I'm not here to enumerate the aspects that I find deeply disturbing. They are many, but I'm not here to write a political rant. There are plenty of other blogs for that.

Messianic overtones lauding a political leader are far from unique in human history. Quite frankly, they should not surprise us; a lost mankind longs for hope, and runs to those things or persons which promise it. But beyond whatever associations you have with seeing the word "hope" plastered by a human face, something else caught my attention: the poster is shaded, shaded in red, white, and blue.

The message is clear. Hope is not in partisan red. Hope is not in partisan blue. Hope is in one candidate to unite the red, the white, and the blue.

One way or another, many people will be disappointed with tomorrow's election results.

In recent years, many Christians have already experienced increasing polictical disappointment. For many, hope in partisan red has been exposed as hope in fallen men. We long for change (and yet a far different change than the change many call for). We long for a return to our nation's roots. We want liberty and justice for all. Good. Needed. Be involved. Work for liberty and justice. But how desperately are we longing for this?

What color is our hope? Is it red, white, and blue -- colors that will eventually fade, as will all the kingdoms of men?

What color is our hope? Is it red, crimson red?


My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus' blood an rightousness

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Laedelas Greenleaf said...

Good writing, Jason! The last two lines were perfect...though, I may be biased. I love that song.

11/04/2008 11:13 PM

 
Blogger S.A. Detwiler said...

Very thoughtful, insightful, encouraging.

As I saw that face plastered all over our neighborhoods, it reminded me of being in the Dominican Republic, where the face of their recently elected president was also displayed on billboards and on the sides of buildings--- it made me think of fascism, and the messianic overtones made me shiver, especially when that word, HOPE, was included with that face.

While our nation is probably entered into some perilous straits, I find my emotions are strangely unaffected. On one hand, this worries me--- shouldn't I be praying and laboring for justice and freedom in my land? On the other hand, I think that I have not been as gripped in fear as I might be because (as you hunted out in your post) I know the color of hope; I know it is red, blood red.

11/17/2008 11:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home