dord (dôrd), n. density of mind; chiefly exhibited by one who attempts to demonstrate supposed knowledge --adj. dord'ish

1.14.2006

Is "Small Talk" Really So Small?

Some people, I believe, think that I don’t talk very much. (Maybe you're sitting there laughing: that obnoxious guy?) I used to imagine that this was merely because I had no need to participate in directionless chatter:

Hey, how are you doing? Oh, fine. How are you? Pretty good. Anything new? Not really. Life’s busy, as always. Yeah, I know what you mean. Same old, same old.

I’ve found, however, that my imagined distaste for the superficial is, in actuality, laziness demonstrated by my failing to seek out people whom I might not often talk with. I can’t expect to have a conversation of the same depth with someone I haven’t talked to in months as with one of my best friends; but that doesn’t mean I can’t have a meaningful conversation.

I don’t want to waste words; I also don’t want to waste opportunities to build friendships by assuming that my words would be wasted. I keep pondering 1 Corinthians 10:31: whether [I] eat or drink, or whatever [I] do, [I want to] do all to the glory of God.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home