dord (dôrd), n. density of mind; chiefly exhibited by one who attempts to demonstrate supposed knowledge --adj. dord'ish

12.05.2006

Thought Collage

This is going to be a bit of a random post. Don't freak out. I can be random. Just ask my sisters. (Then again, don't. Some things are best kept among family.)

We have snow on the ground. Yeah, I know, I thought I was "getting older" and beginning to understand why so many adults. . . (how shall I say this?). . . don't appreciate snow. But there are Christmas lights up throughout the neighborhood and we put our Christmas tree up over a week ago and the temperature was in the 60s last week. It just didn't feel right. I guess I enjoy snow between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day--and maybe a couple of weeks into January. By then I should have had plenty of time to get in some sledding and a snowball fight or two, and snow will only mean that I have to dig my car out to go anywhere. Seriously, I only need to make so many snowmen to be able to say we officially had winter.

Also, as another unintended follow-up post (ooh, is this a trend? don't count on it), I thought I'd post a verse which relates to our need to remember that all wisdom comes from God: "Do you see a man who is wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him." (Proverbs 26:12, ESV) That's a significant statement, considering how much Proverbs says about fools. (Take 1:7 as an example: "fools despise wisdom and instruction.") When I'm able to answer someone's question or share what I think is good advice, I often feel wise in my own eyes. Hey, knowing something is inherently better than being an ignorant fool, right? Wrong. The fool despises wisdom; one who is wise in his own eyes is either satisfied with a counterfeit or desirous of the glory that only God deserves.

Finally, a question. I mentioned a number of months ago that I was thinking of posting short book reviews. The thought has crossed my mind again, so I figured I'd toss the idea out here again to gauge interest, because a large part of the reason I'd post them would be to recommend the good ones. (If you're wondering what kind of books I'd review, a couple of my more recent reads are The Cost of Discipleship and Living the Cross-Centered Life.) Don't be afraid to give a thumbs-down if you have no interest in reading reviews here.

For those of you gearing up for finals: study hard and trust God. For those of you who aren't: consider yourselves fortunate. And trust God.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Random comment on your random thoughts...Dude, RE: Rae's blog, the Rebelution would be a WAY better obsession than Facebook! That's a totally HRA idea!

On another note...please don't turn into a winter weenie. Meaning you'd be just like everybody else...if I were to say, "I can't wait 'til it snows!" You'd give me an inappreciating glare and perhaps a raised eyebrow. But it's a good sign that you enjoy snowball fights! :-P

yzvuah
~a salutation from the North Pole, used when one's lips are too cold to form the traditional "ho ho ho!" greeting.

12/06/2006 5:47 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...I'd almost be willing to bet you threw that comment about the sense of humor...err...randomness in because of me...Then again I'd rather be wrong! ^_~

Your randomness is an interesting psychological phenomenon to be clinically evaluated....Did I say that out loud?? Just kidding!! You can be thoughtful and amusing at the same time....Kudos!(?)

I find the snow to be beautiful...But I stopped playing in it years ago...Old age you know...^_~ I do enjoy a good snowball fight though....And you're right about snow becoming a "OH MAN!!! MY CAR!!!" thing...lol! Just don't turn into a grouchy (yeah right) old man before your time!...^_^ ;-p

And I agree with Shannon. The Rebelution would be a MUCH better way to spend/waste your time...If you're in rehab!

12/07/2006 10:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm reminded of the Bonanza incident.....lol! But don't worry I haven't told anyone.....Yet! ^_~

Don't worry...I wont either. No worries...My brother came up with a REALLY BAD joke. So now I shall relate it to you.
"What does a pirate say for Christmas?"
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
"Ho Ho Ho and a bottle of Rum..."
yeah...I know..but I smiled a bit. Have a great week...end. and don't tell him I told you!

12/07/2006 10:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought I'd let you know, Jason, that when I need a break from writing final essays I come to your blog and read this post (and the earlier one) about asking the Lord for wisdom.

12/11/2006 4:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home