dord (dôrd), n. density of mind; chiefly exhibited by one who attempts to demonstrate supposed knowledge --adj. dord'ish

12.05.2006

Thought Collage

This is going to be a bit of a random post. Don't freak out. I can be random. Just ask my sisters. (Then again, don't. Some things are best kept among family.)

We have snow on the ground. Yeah, I know, I thought I was "getting older" and beginning to understand why so many adults. . . (how shall I say this?). . . don't appreciate snow. But there are Christmas lights up throughout the neighborhood and we put our Christmas tree up over a week ago and the temperature was in the 60s last week. It just didn't feel right. I guess I enjoy snow between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day--and maybe a couple of weeks into January. By then I should have had plenty of time to get in some sledding and a snowball fight or two, and snow will only mean that I have to dig my car out to go anywhere. Seriously, I only need to make so many snowmen to be able to say we officially had winter.

Also, as another unintended follow-up post (ooh, is this a trend? don't count on it), I thought I'd post a verse which relates to our need to remember that all wisdom comes from God: "Do you see a man who is wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him." (Proverbs 26:12, ESV) That's a significant statement, considering how much Proverbs says about fools. (Take 1:7 as an example: "fools despise wisdom and instruction.") When I'm able to answer someone's question or share what I think is good advice, I often feel wise in my own eyes. Hey, knowing something is inherently better than being an ignorant fool, right? Wrong. The fool despises wisdom; one who is wise in his own eyes is either satisfied with a counterfeit or desirous of the glory that only God deserves.

Finally, a question. I mentioned a number of months ago that I was thinking of posting short book reviews. The thought has crossed my mind again, so I figured I'd toss the idea out here again to gauge interest, because a large part of the reason I'd post them would be to recommend the good ones. (If you're wondering what kind of books I'd review, a couple of my more recent reads are The Cost of Discipleship and Living the Cross-Centered Life.) Don't be afraid to give a thumbs-down if you have no interest in reading reviews here.

For those of you gearing up for finals: study hard and trust God. For those of you who aren't: consider yourselves fortunate. And trust God.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Random comment on your random thoughts...Dude, RE: Rae's blog, the Rebelution would be a WAY better obsession than Facebook! That's a totally HRA idea!

On another note...please don't turn into a winter weenie. Meaning you'd be just like everybody else...if I were to say, "I can't wait 'til it snows!" You'd give me an inappreciating glare and perhaps a raised eyebrow. But it's a good sign that you enjoy snowball fights! :-P

yzvuah
~a salutation from the North Pole, used when one's lips are too cold to form the traditional "ho ho ho!" greeting.

12/06/2006 5:47 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...I'd almost be willing to bet you threw that comment about the sense of humor...err...randomness in because of me...Then again I'd rather be wrong! ^_~

Your randomness is an interesting psychological phenomenon to be clinically evaluated....Did I say that out loud?? Just kidding!! You can be thoughtful and amusing at the same time....Kudos!(?)

I find the snow to be beautiful...But I stopped playing in it years ago...Old age you know...^_~ I do enjoy a good snowball fight though....And you're right about snow becoming a "OH MAN!!! MY CAR!!!" thing...lol! Just don't turn into a grouchy (yeah right) old man before your time!...^_^ ;-p

And I agree with Shannon. The Rebelution would be a MUCH better way to spend/waste your time...If you're in rehab!

12/07/2006 10:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm reminded of the Bonanza incident.....lol! But don't worry I haven't told anyone.....Yet! ^_~

Don't worry...I wont either. No worries...My brother came up with a REALLY BAD joke. So now I shall relate it to you.
"What does a pirate say for Christmas?"
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
"Ho Ho Ho and a bottle of Rum..."
yeah...I know..but I smiled a bit. Have a great week...end. and don't tell him I told you!

12/07/2006 10:36 PM

 
Blogger Sterling said...

Snow, why can't we put it next to rain: a pleasant interruption to sun, a cleansing, a necessity, a beauty, a terror, a blessing, a wonder of the curse, a postdiluvian phenomenon of the atmosphere?

Some people are satisfied with other definitions; rain: yuck, what a bother; snow: yrch (the true plural of ork, you know), my CARRRRR!

Okay Jason, perhaps you’re not quite that far, but your succumbing to it, I can feel it! Hold on to those snowball fights; hold fast, my friend!

Still don’t understand why Ohioans will complain about Ohio’s winter. What else but snow should one expect to see in Ohio in February (not just Christmas and New Year’s.)

Perhaps I should digress; or better yet, go take a snow bath!

Oh, as for book reports, I think you know my mind on this. Bring 'em on!



Rae, I found your brother's joke quite humerous.
By the way, what does a princess say for Christmas?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Got 'ya.

12/08/2006 6:52 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought I'd let you know, Jason, that when I need a break from writing final essays I come to your blog and read this post (and the earlier one) about asking the Lord for wisdom.

12/11/2006 4:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home