dord (dôrd), n. density of mind; chiefly exhibited by one who attempts to demonstrate supposed knowledge --adj. dord'ish

3.30.2008

Reviewing Humble Orthodoxy, Week 6

Title: The Mission: Reaching the World Next Door
Speaker: Eric Simmons
Session: Main Session #6, Na06
Date: May 29, 2006

Main Text
Colossians 4:2-9

Some Opening Thoughts
Going to New Attitude 2006 had a big impact on my perspective on personal evangelism. This message—along with a book called Questioning Evangelism, which I bought at the New Attitude bookstore—challenged my fears, built my faith, and reminded of the importance of the Great Commission. I realize it may be getting old for me to keep talking about how fantastic these teachings are. If you aren’t doing so yet, please, instead of just reading my notes, listen to them for yourself.

A Brief Outline
At the outset, Eric asked this question: how can we ensure that we take this humble orthodoxy to people who do not know Jesus? His answer was two-fold.
1. We must think globally
–> What does “think globally” mean? We need the big picture. We need a bigger vision of Christianity than our little, isolated world.
–> We can get so caught up in the day-to-day details that we lose our vision. Why? Because our gaze is centered on ourselves, and not on Jesus and His mission.
–> What is this mission? Jesus clarified it to the twelve with the Great Commission (see Matt. 28:18-20, Mark 16:15-16).
–> The Gospel is bearing fruit and it is growing (Colossians 1:6)
–> What is this kingdom? He has delivered us from darkness into the kingdom of His beloved Son, in Whom we have redemption and the forgiveness of sin (Colossians 1:13).
–> Who is this king? He is the image of the invisible God, He is the firstborn over all creation. . . the firstborn from the dead, that in everything He might be preeminent (Colossians 1:15,18).
–> The kingdom is being further revealed day-by-day, and we get to be a part of it.
–> How do we participate? We take this global vision locally.
2. We must act locally
–> Have you ever considered that the most unreached people may be the ones next door?
–> To be effective missionaries. . .
–> (a) we pray
–> Our prayers should be steadfast, devoted, watchful, alert (Colossians 4:2).
–> The more alert and the more steadfast are our prayers, the more we start seeing and discerning God working.
–> How should we pray? Pray that the door would be open.
–> Pray for opportunities – every day.
–> Effective missionaries live a distinctly different life among a specific culture of people.
–> What kind of missionary would go to a foreign city, find a job and a place to live, and never hang out with the people he was sent to. We would call him a resident, not a missionary.
–> Sow the kingdom of God strategically: start by picking one friend to invest in.
–> Your conduct should match your message.
–> What about relevance? The truth is essential, relevance is just a nice package.
–> We need to relate to the culture, but we are not to be like the culture.
–> Godliness and the fruit of the Spirit are far more important than being relevant.
–> Packaging is important, but if people around us start opening the package, and they see nothing in there that is different, we’re compromising the mission.
–> (c) we talk
–> How can we be effective missionaries? Have conversations with unbelievers.
–> Boldness does not mean arrogance; be bold, humble, and gracious.
–> Grace should inform our apologetics, lest knowledge puff us up.
–> What does “seasoned with salt” mean? Witty and full of life.
–> We are primarily seed sowers more than reapers; let's do the next Christian a favor.

Some Application Questions
–> Do I just go to college, just go to work, just go a restaurant, just go to family get-togethers, or do I see that I am sent by God?
–> Do I pray that I will make the Gospel clear?
–> Do I pray daily for opportunities to share the Gospel?
–> Do I view myself as a resident or as a missionary? Do I live this way?

One Thing That Has Stuck With Me
Do the next Christian a favor. I had often struggled with the thought, “What’s the use if I’m not going to be able to invest in this person long-term?” Maybe I’ll never see some of these people again. Just do the next Christian a favor.

One Thing I Re-learned By Re-listening
I know I was challenged by this before; now I've been challenged by it again. Do I just go to college, just go to work, or do I remember that I am sent?

Discussion
–> What are one or two things that you learned in listening to this teaching?
–> If you were re-listening to it, what are some ways that God has used this teaching in your life over the last two years?
–> Also, feel free to give suggestions on the focus and format of these posts.
–> Finally, as great as it is to be able to talk about this online, talk about it personally with people you know. Use it as an opportunity to share with each other what God is teaching you, and how He has given (and is giving) you the grace to apply it.

This was Week 6 in the fifteen weeks of reviewing humble orthodoxy, leading up to New Attitude 2008 in Louisville, Kentucky on May 24-27. Listen to “Reaching the World Next Door” for free.

Next Week: The Family: Taking It Home To Your Local Church (Josh Harris)

Background on this series: Humble Orthodoxy

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jason, I liked these notes you took: "The more alert and the more steadfast are our prayers, the more we start seeing and discerning God working."
Chad

4/07/2008 11:47 PM

 
Blogger S.A. Detwiler said...

You do a great job summarizing these messages. Every time I read your reviews, I want to listen to the original message. Is Na06 available online?

Through the missions class that I have been taking, I have come across a similar injunction to "think globally" and to pray accordingly. As I have attempted to make this a habit, I have been amazed at the things I have noticed, things I would have overlooked before. I am also amazed at my own thought-patterns, the ways I now think about seizing opportunities to speak about and reflect Christ, the way I am saddened by passed-up opportunities to witness, the way I dream about cross-cultural missions. The truth is, God is working all around the world, and the gospel is filling the earth just like a little yeast leavens the whole lump.

"Packaging is important, but if people around us start opening the package, and they see nothing in there that is different, we’re compromising the mission."

...straight to the point.

My only suggestion on formating is that it would be nice to have the Main Text a hyperlink. Also, it would be really nice if your hyperlinks opened as a separate page. Note to self: see if you can do the same on your blog.

4/08/2008 9:38 PM

 
Blogger Jason said...

"Every time I read your reviews, I want to listen to the original message."
--Yes! That's the best compliment you could have left. Well, almost the best. Scratch "want to."

"Is Na06 available online?"
--Click the hyplerlinks at the end of the post, my friend.

Yeah, it's very convicting thinking about all of the missed opportunities with the world next door.

Thanks for the formatting feedback. I will try to go back and hyperlink the main texts. I don't know what I need to do on my end to set up the links to open on separate pages. [Help anyone? John, Brian, you guys still around?] I do know that on your end, if you hold down "Ctrl" as you click the link, it should open in a separate page/tab.

4/08/2008 10:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home