dord (dôrd), n. density of mind; chiefly exhibited by one who attempts to demonstrate supposed knowledge --adj. dord'ish

7.02.2008

Topsail Island 2008

Last month our family spent a week at Topsail Island, NC with my dad's side of the family. Having 31 people share a house is bound to be interesting. Thankfully, it was a good interesting.

We learned a few valuable things:
--A game of pool volleyball, in the presence of poolside cacti, will be very short.
--Making up a bracket for a 16-person double-elimination billiards tournament is a science.
--If enough people go fishing all week long, it's easy to plan dinner the last evening.

Also, I'm no good at billiards. Winning the Cousins Air Hockey Tournament (also a field of 16) is some consolation. But being the "Family Air Hockey Champion" isn't quite as glamorous as being the "Family Billiards Champion."

Family tradition is to do a scavenger hunt throughout the vacation week. Our Uncle Mark changed things up on us this year, dividing the cousins into two groups for a "photo hunt." Here are a few highlights.



A cousin buried up to his head in the sand (we decided to get creative)










A human pyramid













A sand castle "at least three feet tall"

















Team posing with a sunset (Atlas has nothing on us)










Other fun stuff
After lunch at Cracker Barrel













The college-aged cousins were responsible for preparing dinner on Monday evening


(Pictures courtesy of my sister DeAnna)

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

Great pictures! Although the 2nd one was just disturbing.... kind of like the Indian's record right now. It hurt me to look at the standings today.

7/02/2008 1:13 PM

 
Blogger The Stranger said...

Sonic, I can't believe you passed up all of the headless related humor! But alas, even though you did not use it I assure you, you did not lose it.

Dt

7/02/2008 4:46 PM

 
Blogger Laedelas Greenleaf said...

Sounds like a blast! Huge family vacations are (generally speaking--and providing that everyone has enough sleep) really cool.

7/02/2008 4:53 PM

 
Blogger Megan said...

Hey, please tell Audre Happy Birthday for me!

7/03/2008 8:01 AM

 
Blogger S.A. Detwiler said...

Loved reading about your family vacation and seeing pictures, too. I didn't get a chance to ask you about your trip the other day, and now I don't have to. [Grin] (Don't hold your breath on me using emoticons.)

7/03/2008 9:42 PM

 
Blogger coelder said...

Love the photos and I'm so glad I stumbled on the site.
I'm a brand new photographer - long time photoshopper and I just had a beach trip to Topsail Island.
Here are some of my favorites. they are more sunset based but beach, none-the-less. I would love comments and critiques from all of your readers!

http://womenartmoney.blogspot.com/2008/09/point-and-shoot-naturally-occurring.html

the mini-blog inside of Art Star is called Point and Shoot.

9/13/2008 1:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home