dord (dôrd), n. density of mind; chiefly exhibited by one who attempts to demonstrate supposed knowledge --adj. dord'ish

4.11.2009

Book Review: The Holiness of God

Let me be up front about this: I really don't know how to write this review. For me to attempt to explain all of the reasons why I am glad I read The Holiness of God would make this review way too long. To find reason to include one quote would be to find reason to include thirty.

Maybe I will find the time to spill some thoughts that have been stirred in another post. It should suffice to say that this book is on all of those "top books" lists for good reason, but I'll add the following:

You don't understand the holiness of God. I don't understand the holiness of God. R.C. Sproul doesn't understand the holiness of God. We are finite and sinful; God is infinite and holy. Still, reading this book and seeing Sproul do his utmost to unpack God's Word on the topic of God's holiness will give a you greater glimpse of what it means that God is holy.


Rating: Must Read

--------------------

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Laedelas Greenleaf said...

This is possibly the most concise and most persuasive book review that I've read on this blog. Thankfully, my parents own this book, so I'll add it to my stack of books to read next. Thank you for the suggestion!

4/13/2009 2:34 AM

 
Blogger Jason said...

You're welcome. Just don't add too many other books soon and have it get buried. (I've had some books on my list for, oh, 2-3 years.) I actually bought this at Na almost two years ago... intended to read it... finally I reached a point where I realized I needed to read it.

I think there is a direct correlation between "concise" and "persuasive"-- at least for my book reviews. I've written a few that got pretty long. I don't know that anyone else bothered reading them, but hey! at least I can go back and recall what I learned.

Perhaps I'll finally write that persuasive review for The Discipline of Grace:

Book Review: The Discipline of Grace

Rating: Must Read

4/13/2009 12:20 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melody and I read through this book together. The Word of God, unpacked by Sproul, changed my life in a radical way that led to deep repentance. I am forever grateful to the man. I see God's holiness more clearly now because of Sproul's insight. Are your glasses foggy too? Than read the Holiness of God by R.C. Sproul.

Josiah

5/01/2009 9:27 PM

 
Anonymous Justin Work said...

R.C. Sproul, John Piper, and many others have changed my life. Their meditations on sin, their love of grace, and their commitment to scripture are inspiring. The Holliness of God cuts through our false beleifs about God and shows Him as the powerful, loving God that He is.

11/17/2009 9:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home