dord (dôrd), n. density of mind; chiefly exhibited by one who attempts to demonstrate supposed knowledge --adj. dord'ish

7.01.2007

Why "Dord"?

When I first started this blog, I wanted a name that would be both interesting and meaningful. As you can see, what I came up with was... Dord Defined. However, I want to take a few sentences to make sure that its intended meaning is not lost in its uniqueness/strangeness. (A quick aside: do read the fascinating historical background if you haven't yet.) The definition I gave would best be understood in light of the following three Scriptures.

"Do you see a man who is wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him." (Proverbs 26:12, ESV)

"Do you see a man who is hasty in his words? There is more hope for a fool than for him." (Proverbs 29:20, ESV)

"Whoever trusts in his own mind is a fool, but he who walks in wisdom will be delivered." (Proverbs 28:26, ESV)

These sober me every time I read them. Proverbs contains dozens of verses on the fool. There is no doubt: a fool is definitely a terrible thing to be. The first two verses tell us that there is more hope for a fool than for one who is wise in his own eyes or hasty in his words. I firmly believe that these warnings apply to all of life; I also believe that, in blogging, it is especially easy to be wise in my own eyes or hasty in my words. The last verse completes the first. A fool, wise in his own eyes, trusts in his own mind. Yet we need not despair. The verse reminds us that true wisdom can be found, though not from trusting in one's own mind. Instead, we know that it comes from above, from the One to Whom belongs all wisdom (Dan. 2:20).

The name of my blog--and specifically the definition I wrote--is meant to serve as a not-so-subtle reminder of these truths.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

May be of interest to you (about the work Dord): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3sDiH3FhnY

3/02/2012 11:03 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home