dord (dôrd), n. density of mind; chiefly exhibited by one who attempts to demonstrate supposed knowledge --adj. dord'ish

4.30.2009

Words from Dr. G

Right now life is a scholastic blur. Sometime I'll get around to writing a real blog post again. In the meantime, I thought I'd share these quotes--almost entirely context free--from my Design of Mechanical Components (DMC) professor.

"An engineer getting a chance to blow things up. . . what could be better?"

"You would have to do lots and lots of tests, which would take lots and lots of time, which is why we have graduate students."

"DMC is when you actually learn AMC, because you have to use it as a tool."

"We are engineers, so we have to look out for the public. The public, as you know, when it comes to engineering, are idiots. So you must look out for their idiocy." [to which a classmate objects that it goes against Darwinism]

"They were paying us to break it. I love being paid to break things."

"We're not going to get anywhere in the next two minutes, so I may as well yammer on."

"We learn all kinds of fun things. . . that we should already know."

"You can see where friction is making things screwy." [while talking about bolts]

"Does somebody other than him have a question?" [after the obnoxious guy raised his hand again]

"If you really want to be exact you keep going to school to get advanced degrees until you know more and more about less and less and you know absolutely everything there is to know about nothing."

"Procrastination pays off immediately."

"Humans are control systems with a phase lag of over 1/10 of a second."

"We call it a sudden release of air. We do not call it an explosion."

And my favorite:
"We all have photographic memory. Most of us just don't have film."

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

College professors are vastly amusing people! Fun quotes!

5/01/2009 12:41 AM

 
Blogger Laedelas Greenleaf said...

My Chem I and II prof said stuff like this, too. And he'd put a bonus question in the final exam about some such quote of his :-) I particularly like the "procrastination pays immediately" and "non-engineers are engineering idiots" quotes.

prose
Penguin Roses often Sing Exquisitely

5/01/2009 3:12 PM

 
Blogger S.A. Detwiler said...

There's a prof here at GIAL that's like this---very quotable, and every point he wanted to get across he said in triplicate, like a thesaurus, three times over. I never thought of blogging some of the funny quotes I wrote down during his class---maybe I should---but I'm told he has a facebook fan page with quotes on it, so it might be double-doing it.

I think "Procrastination pays off immediately" is my favorite of these quotes.

5/03/2009 5:34 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice.

5/07/2009 5:38 PM

 
Blogger Johann Van De Leeuw said...

Wunderbar!

6/19/2009 10:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home