dord (dôrd), n. density of mind; chiefly exhibited by one who attempts to demonstrate supposed knowledge --adj. dord'ish

11.03.2009

Senior

I'm at another crossroads in life. When I was a senior in high school I somehow thought that if I could just decide on what to study (and where), life would unfold from there.

I'm a senior again. I feel like I'm a senior in high school again--minus the idea that future decisions will be obvious if I can only get this one right. What will I do next? The past four years of my life were more-or-less mapped out... freshman classes... sophomore classes... junior classes... senior classes. Oh, and mix in a couple of co-op job decisions that helped blow my life-choices-will-become-obvious theory out of the water. But, bottom line: four years ago I could've anticipating being where am now, doing what I'm doing now.

Twelve months from now... only God knows. Maybe I'll be working full-time. Maybe I'll be a full-time graduate student here at UA. Maybe I'll be a graduate student out of state. Maybe... maybe...

This is an interesting place to be. Surely, none of us knows for sure where we'll be in a year, a week, a day, an hour. God holds the future in His hands.

Yet while we can't guarantee tomorrow, much of life has an element of, "Unless something unexpected happens..." Right now, though, I don't have an expected. Interesting. Very Interesting.

It's exciting too--a good opportunity to learn functional theology: God's sovereignty and man's responsibility. I trust in the wisdom of God, not my own. At the same time, I'm doing job interviews, working on graduate school applications*, and talking with older and wiser people who have faced similar decisions in their own lives.


So where am I? Where will I be?

I think and wonder about where I'll be a year from now.

I think with wonder about where I'll be a thousand years from now.



* [An aside: is there anyone who can honestly say that they enjoy--or even don't mind--the application process? I told myself that I wouldn't let this drag out or hang over my head as my undergraduate applications did. Not easy. Complicating matters, the process for each application needs explained... but then parts get overexplained. (So I send my letters of recommendation to... ?)]

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Laedelas Greenleaf said...

I like the phrase "functional theology." I'll be praying for you!

11/03/2009 11:28 PM

 
Blogger you guessed it said...

In 5 years it will be interesting to look back and see how things progressed!

My life has not gone as I expected at all!

11/04/2009 7:57 AM

 
Blogger R.Hall said...

Maybe... maybe... maybe you'll be getting married!

During my senior year, I feared graduating. I had lived for so long to get into and do well at college that I thought I would be depressed when there was no more college. But when I e-mailed in my last paper just after midnight on the last day of finals week, I bowed my head and prayed a prayer of gratitude. At that moment the Lord said to me, "The best is yet to come." Heretofore we really have only just begun.

We graduate not only from the syllabus to the resume (or the GRE, etc.), but from a smaller measure of faith to a bigger one. No matter where you go, you can stay trusting God. It's a good place.

11/04/2009 10:05 AM

 
Blogger Jason said...

Laedelas,
I like that phrase too. I don't mind saying so because I didn't come up with it. Randy has used it several times, and it's stuck with me. (Of course, I don't think he originated it either.)
And thanks for your prayers!

you guessed it,
It will be interesting.

Towropes,
I wondered if anyone would guess where that was [maybe] going. Twelve months isn't long away, though.

"No matter where you go, you can stay trusting God. It's a good place."
Indeed it is.

11/05/2009 11:08 AM

 
Blogger Johann Van De Leeuw said...

Hello Jason, I know you are not sympathetic to the Southern Cause, but you may find this interesting, eh? I think of all the times I have argued with y'all over this; and there is a point in it after all!
It was nice seeing you at the lecture at Akron U!
http://csagov.org/

11/23/2009 8:18 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home