dord (dôrd), n. density of mind; chiefly exhibited by one who attempts to demonstrate supposed knowledge --adj. dord'ish

7.25.2010

A Tragedy in the Making

You may not be sure that you want your life to make a difference. Maybe you don't care very much whether you make a lasting difference for the sake of something great. You just want people to like you. If people would just like being around you, you'd be satisfied. Or if you could just have a good job with a good wife, or husband, and a couple of good kids and a nice car and long weekends and a few good friends, a fun retirement, and a quick and easy death, and no hell--if you could have all of that (even without God)--you would be satisfied. That is a tragedy in the making. A wasted life.

John Piper
That's why I read Don't Waste Your Life every summer. That, and so many other paragraphs like it.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

Do any of you have books (other than the Bible), that you re-read regularly? If so, what and why?

7/25/2010 10:05 PM

 
Blogger Dani said...

Hi! You don't know me but I'm a friend of the Detwilers and I just followed their blog trail on over. :)
Two books I really enjoy re-reading would have to be The Journals of Jim Elliot and My Utmost for His Highest (Chambers). I suppose for the same reason you mentioned; there are numerous quotes in both books that stop you in your tracks and carefully evaluate your life.

8/03/2010 11:35 PM

 
Anonymous Laura said...

I absolutely love this book by John Piper. It provides such encouragement and so many challenges each and every time I pick it up.

Another book I have found extremely encouraging and helpful is Not By Chance: Learning to Trust A Sovereign God by Layton Talbert.

8/17/2010 10:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home